Monday, February 06, 2006



Exploring Themes from The Wave

During class we have been discussing the importance of understanding and finding themes throughout a novel. While reading The Wave, we want to make sure you really understand what these themes are saying about life and human nature.

Let's explore the main theme of The Wave.

People can blindly follow a strong, charismatic leader regardless of what he teaches.

1) Agree or disagree with this statment

2) Explain why you feel this way.

3) Use specific evidence from history or life to back up your response. Use the links below to help you provide evidence in your statement.

A. Heaven's Gate -- Cult

B. Charles Manson -- Leader of the "Manson Family"

C. Adolf Hitler -- Leader of the Nazi Party

D. Mind Control --Wikipedia

2 comments:

d. said...

Brian G. I just want you to know how impressed I was with your post. You did a great job of backing up your information by explaining the ideas in your own words.

Brian R. Good start. I would like to know more on your thoughts regarding the Manson family. Also, make sure to have someone look over your writing before posting.

Yali I think this comment is off to a great start. It's obvious you did some research and related the topic to your own life. Make sure to always have somone look over your writing before posting.

TK Wow, all I can say is this had some real insight into the topic. I'm very impressed. Next time let's try to incorporate some more resarch into your writing.

Erica Said: "Charismatic could be a good and a bad weapon." I think you're right, and found your comparison to Bush right on the money. One thing to remember is that, unfortunately in the Regents you have to either "agree" or "disagree" with the statement.

Great Writing Krew!

d. said...

Jas -- I just want you to know that I am very impressed with the work and effort you put into this posting. It is obvious you put a great deal of time and energy into your Charles Manson reserach.

I think you made some great points, especially when you said, "He loved death and the control of people. He had many problems that may have cause him to do these things."

This quote shows that you are you trying to figure out why Manson turned out the way that he did. Great work!